Dynamica is a plug-in for Maya that provides an interface to the Bullet rigid body engine. Bullet was originally created to simulate many rigid bodies quickly in a game context, but this plug-in helps extend its usefulness to film production. The Walt Disney Animation Studios used this plug-in to model the thousands of packing peanuts seen in BOLT.
Features of the Dynamica Maya plugin
- Dynamica is cross-platform and works on Windows, Linux and Mac OSX
- Dynamica runs on all versions of Maya.
- Active, passive, and kinematic rigid bodies
- Sphere, Box, Hull(convex), and Mesh(concave) collision shapes
- Force breakable Nail, Hinge, Slider, and Six-degrees-of-freedom constraints
- Frame based choreography control and simulation baking
- The plugin exports to COLLADA Physics format and the native .bullet binary physics file format
It was used by Disney Animation and several other studios.
Home Page: http://www.bulletphysics.org/mediawiki-1.5.8/index.php/Maya_Dynamica_Plugin
Project Page: http://dynamica.googlecode.com
Platform: Windows, Linux, Mac OSX
License: MIT and zlib
Sponsor: Walt Disney Animation Studios