OpenFX is an open standard for visual effects plug-ins. It allows plug-ins written to the standard to work on any application that supports the standard. This avoids the current per application fragmentation of plug-in development and support, which causes much heartache to everyone, plug-in developers, application developers and end users alike
The core aims of OpenFX were established early on, these are…
- to develop a standard for writing visual effects plug-ins,
- to develop that standard with a broad consensus within the industry,
- have that standard be vendor and operating system neutral,
- have that standard be sufficiently flexible that it supports a wide range of visual effects systems, from editors to compositors.
Subsidiary aims are,
- have the standard be expandable to other areas in the future, for example sound plug-ins or image i/o plug-ins,
- have any expansion of the standard be done in such a manner so that hosts can easily support plug-ins using differerent versions of the API,
- have plug-ins written to the standard be tunable to the host system they are running on,
- allow hosts to provide extra custom functionality to plugins that wish to use it.
Home Page: http://openfx.sourceforge.net/
Project Page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openfx/
Platform: Linux, OS X, Windows
Sponsor: The Foundry, Autodesk, Gen-Arts, FilmLight, Assimilate, Re-Vision Effects