PyMEL makes python scripting in Maya work the way it should. Maya’s command module is a direct translation of MEL commands into python functions. The result is awkward and “unpythonic” code which does not take advantage of python’s flexible, object-oriented design. The python-wrapped C++ API is powerful and object-oriented, but it’s too cryptic and verbose for everyday tasks. Using these modules as building blocks, PyMEL forges a new object-oriented API that’s as powerful and easy to use as python is.
- Create an open-source python module for Maya that is intuitive to MEL users and python users alike
- Fix bugs and design limitations in Maya’s python modues, maya.cmds and maya.mel
- Keep code concise and readable
- Add organization through class hierarchy and sub-modules
- Provide documentation accessible via html and the builtin help() function
- Make it “just work”